ED/IES SBIR News Archive
ED/IES SBIR in the News
ED/IES SBIR Blogs
ED/IES SBIR-Supported Products Win Industry Awards for Innovation
ED/IES SBIR Awardees in the News
ED/IES SBIR in the News
- May, 2016 – Ed NET Insight details ED/IES SBIR's 2016 awards. Read Here.
- December, 2015 – Articles and blogs about the 2015 ED Games Expo, featuring ED/IES SBIR, appeared in EdSurge (Read Here); Inside IES Research (Read Here); edscoop (Read Here).
- June, 2015 – ED/IES SBIR is featured in a piece on games for learning in VentureBeat. Read Here.
- April, 2014 – Cronkite News televises and publishes a story on education games, featuring ED/IES SBIR. Watch and Read Here.
- October, 2014 – Education Week publishes a feature article on the ED/IES SBIR program. Read here
- July, 2014 – Education Week details the 2014 ED/IES SBIR awards. Read Here.
- July 2013 – Gamifacation Co features the ED/IES SBIR program in a news story on learning games. Read here.
- June 2013 – Education Week features the ED/IES SBIR program in a blog. Read here.
- September 2012 – Education Week blogger Tom Vander Ark highlights several special education technology products funded by the ED/IES SBIR program. Read here.
- August 2012 – Techonomy features ED/IES SBIR in a news article on education games. Read here.
ED/IES SBIR Blogs
- July, 2016 – The White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) posts a blog on emerging forms of educational assessment at ED/IES SBIR. Read Here.
- July, 2016 – 1776 posts a blog on the emerging area of augmented reality in education, highlighting IES projects. Read Here.
- July, 2016 – ED/IES posts a blog detailing projects that won industry awards in the first half of 2016. Read Here.
- May, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR posts a blog announcing its 2016 awardees. Read Here.
- May, 2016 – A blog details ED/IES SBIR's participation at the U.S. Department of Education's Take Our Children to Work Day on April 28, 2016. View, download, and print the blog post as a PDF file (457 KB)
- January, 2016 – ED Homeroom features the women games developers from the SBIR program who participated in ED Games Day. Read Here.
- January, 2016 – ED Homeroom posts a recap of ED Games Day. Read Here.
- December, 2015 – SBIR.gov posts a recap of the ED Games Expo. Read Here.
- November, 2015 – SBA.gov posts a blog updating the Games for Learning YouTube playlist. Read Here.
- May, 2015 – IES publishes a blog titled "Jumpstarting Innovation in Education Technology Through SBIR." Read Here.
- May, 2015 – SBA publishes a blog focusing on the ED/IES SBIR program. Read Here.
- December, 2014 – 1776 posts a blog on the ED/IES SBIR program titled "A Government Program Every American Startup Should Know About." Read Here.
- October, 2014 – A Small Business Administration blog details a new Youtube Playlist highlighting SBIR-funded games for learning, including many by ED/IES SBIR. Read here.
- September, 2014 – ED Homeroom Blog recaps Ed Games Week in Washington DC through which many ED/IES SBIR awardees participated. Read here.
- September, 2014 – A Small Business Administration blog features the role of the ED/IES SBIR program in driving the games for learning movement. Read here.
- December 2013 – ED/IES SBIR Tech Expo showcases new education learning products:
View, download, and print the article as a PDF file (504 KB)
- May 2013 – The White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) features the ED/IES SBIR program in a blog about education games: Read here.
- August 2012 – U.S. Department of Education's Homeroom Blog features ED/IES SBIR game-based learning projects: Read here.
- January 2011 – Polyhedron Learning Media, Inc.'s virtual physics lab provides students easy access to science equipment and experiments. Read here.
- November 2010 – Nimble Assessment Systems, Inc. successfully commercializes its computer-based testing tools. Read here.
ED/IES SBIR Products Win Industry Awards for Innovation
- June, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Strange Loop Games' Eco won the Climate Game Challenge at the Games for Change Festival in New York City. Read Here.
- May, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Readorium won the Best Reading/English/Language Arts Solution through the Software & Information Industry Association's (SIIA) CODiE program. Read Here.
- May, 2016– ED/IES SBIR awardee Science4Us won the best Science Instructional Solution through the SIIA CODiE program and won THE Best Science Program through the BESSIE awards in April. Read Here and Here.
- May, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Electric Funstuff's Mission US won the Website Gold from the Parents' Choice Awards. Read Here.
- February, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Querium is recognized as one of the 10 Most Innovative Education Technology Companies of 2016 by Fast Company Magazine. Read Here.
- July, 2015 – Fluidity Software' FluidMath wins 1st Place in the "Best Performing Office Add-On" category through the Microsoft 2015 Office App Awards competition. See the list of all awardees here.
- July, 2015 – ED/IES SBIR supported games for learning by awardees Electric Funstuff and Triad Interactive Media win Gold Awards, and Filament Games wins a Silver Award, at the 2015 Serious Play Conference. Read Here.
- May, 2015 – Triad Interactive Media wins a 2015 BESSIE Award for its math game Platinu Math. Read Here.
- May, 2015 – Teachley wins two 2015 Parent Choice Awards, for its Addimal Adventure and Mt. Multiplis math games.
- May, 2015 – Imagine Education's (now "MidSchoolMath") Empires math game is selected as one of 12 winners in the Mobile Learning Partner's Apps for Class Challenge. The competition was sponsored by The Verizon Foundation and Innovate+Educate. See Video Here.
- February, 2015 – Zaption is recognized by Fast Company magazine as a Most Innovative Company of 2015 for use of video. Read Here.
- March, 2015 – Numbershire by Thought Cycle wins the National School Board Association Innovation Showcase. Read Here.
- March, 2015 – Zaption wins first place at the LaunchEDU competition at the 2015 SXSW conference. Read Here.
- November, 2014 – ED/IES SBIR awardees Attainment Company and Zaption win DILA awards from Edsurge and Digital Promise. Read Here.
- June, 2014 – Filament Games wins First Place at Game Learning Society Conference for Reach For the Sun. Read Here.
- June, 2014 – Teachley wins Apple Design Award for ED/IES SBIR-supported math learning game. Read here.
- June 2013 – Triad Interactive Media wins the CODIE award from the Software Information and Industry Association (SIIA) for Best Education Game or Simulation. Read here.
- June 2013 – Filament Games wins Best Gameplay award at the Games For Change conference for Reach For The Sun. Read Here.
- May, 2012 – Sokikom wins I award from the Software Information and Industry Association (SIIA) for Best Education Game or Simulation. Read Here.
- November, 2011 – Fluidity Software wins the competition as the "most innovation education technology product" at the Software Information and Industry Association's (SIIA) Ed-Tech Business Forum Innovation Incubator. Read here.
- April, 2011 – Sokikom wins BESSIE Award as Top Online Mutliplayer Math Games. Read Here.
- April, 2011 – Sokikom wins "Best Educational Gaming and Adaptive Learning Company" at the Education Innovation Summit, Arizona State University Skysong. Read Here.
- April 2011 – Filament Games wins the grand prize from the National STEM Video Game Challenge. Read here.
ED/IES SBIR Awardees in the News
- March, 2016 – Eduardo Briceño of ED/IES SBIR awardee Mindset Works was featured in an EdSurge Podcast. Listen here.
- February, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee MidSchoolMath (formerly Imagine Education) was featured in the Santa Fe New Mexican for their recent conference which attracted 700 educators Read Here.
- March, 2016 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Charmtech was featured in a TV News Story on Long Island for their Capti software which assists English learners in reading. Watch Here.
- February, 2016 – Chemistry gaming intervention Happy Atoms by ED/IES SBIR awardee Schell Games is featured in TIME magazine. Read Here.
- January, 2016 – SBIR Pulse highlights Mindset Works representing ED at SBIR Awareness Day on the Hill. Read Here.
- January, 2016 – Smithsonian Magazine names Kiko Labs an Innovator to Watch in 2016. Read the Inside IES Research Blog Here and see the Smithsonian Magazine article Here.
- December, 2015 – SBIR Pulse features ED/IES SBIR awardee John Krajewski of Strange Loop Games. Read Here.
- June, 2015 – The Washington Post publishes a blog highlighting Strange Loop Games' ED/IES SBIR environmental science game Eco. Read Here.
- June, 2015 – Newsweek publishes a story highlighting 3C Institute's ED/IES SBIR supported social and behavioral games Zoo U and Hall of Heroes. Read Here.
- May, 2015 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Zaption raises private funding. Read Here.
- May, 2015 – Bright publishes a piece on the social and behavioral games developed by ED/IES SBIR awardee 3C Institute. Read Here.
- March, 2015 – 1776 posts a blog highlighting several technology ED/IES SBIR products that support the needs of students with disabilities. Read Here.
- January, 2015 – Kiko Labs is featured in TechCrunch. Read Here.
- October, 2014 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Lightside Labs is acquired. Read Here.
- September, 2014 – ED/IES SBIR awardee Mastery Connect (formerly Socrative) raises a Series B round. Read Here.
- September, 2014 – A Wall Street Journal on language and math notes Teachley's Addimal Adventure. Read Here.
- June, 2014 – Sokikom featured in EdSurge article on ED/IES SBIR 2014 awards. Read Here.
- April, 2014 – Mindset Works and Scholastic Education announce partnership. Read Here.
- March, 2014 – Ed Briceno of Mindset Works featured on National Public Radio. Read Here.
- October, 2013 – Filament Games' Reach For The Sun is noted as a top education game in Venture Beat article on games for learning. Read Here.
- September, 2013 – Mindset Works features in Education Week article. Read Here.
- February 2013 – Techcrunch features ED/IES SBIR awardee Sokikom: Read here.
- June 2011 – Two national media outlets highlight Insight Learning Technology, Inc. Read here.