WWC review of this study

Effectiveness of Reading and Mathematics Software Products: Findings From Two Student Cohorts. NCEE 2009-4041

Campuzano, Larissa; Dynarski, Mark; Agodini, Roberto; Rall, Kristina (2009). National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance. Retrieved from: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED504657

  • Randomized Controlled Trial
    , grade

Reviewed: September 2016

No statistically significant positive
Meets WWC standards without reservations
Reading achievement outcomes—Indeterminate effect found for the domain
Comparison Period Sample Intervention
Significant? Improvement

Reading test score

Destination Reading vs. Business as usual

1 Semester

Full sample;
35 classes




Show Supplemental Findings

Reading test score

Destination Reading vs. Business as usual

1 Semester

Year 2 classrooms only ;
15 classes





Evidence Tier rating based solely on this study. This intervention may achieve a higher tier when combined with the full body of evidence.

Characteristics of study sample as reported by study author.

  • Female: 48%
    Male: 52%

  • Urban


The study took place within 2 school districts and across 12 different schools. The two the school districts were considered to be located in urban areas. The average district had 97 schools with roughly 61,143 students.

Study sample

Teachers in the classrooms averaged 16 years of teaching experience (intervention = 17.59; comparison = 14.14) with just under half of the teachers holding a master's degree (43%; 36% in intervention and 54% in comparison). The teachers were mostly female with 95% in the intervention and 100% female teachers in the comparison group. Students in these classrooms were an average age of 6.7; all students were in first grade. Forty-eight percent of the students were female (intervention = 48%; comparison = 50%). No other characteristics were reported.

Intervention Group

Intervention classrooms used the Destination Reading program. Destination Reading is a supplemental reading curriculum designed to improve students' phonics, decoding, reading comprehension, and other basic reading skills. This course covers reading materials for students in kindergarten and grade 1. Concepts are introduced by the teacher and then students work individually with provided software. Students take assessments, which provide teachers with information on how students are progressing. Teachers are able to modify the sequence of instruction for the entire class or for individual students. The product can be used in the classroom or a computer lab and it program's recommended use is 20 minutes a day twice a week.

Comparison Group

Classrooms in the comparison condition continued to use their standard curriculum with no other programs.

Support for implementation

Prior to implementation intervention classroom teachers received two to three days of on site training. Districts were able to purchase additional training and coaching as well. Support through implementation was provided by the vendor via phone and e-mail. The estimated annual cost, per student, to implement the program was $78. Of that amount 68% was used for license fees and the remaining 32% was used for teacher training and support, technical support, and printed materials and supplies.


Your export should download shortly as a zip archive.

This download will include data files for study and findings review data and a data dictionary.

Connect With the WWC

back to top