Central: Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming
REL Central serves the educational needs of Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. These states have a combined population of 18,631,097 and cover approximately 579,058 square miles of both urban and rural communities.
REL Central is conducting work in the following research alliances:
- Teacher Preparation: The goal of this research alliance is to support the use of state longitudinal data systems for assessing teacher preparation experiences. Participants will include the managers of state longitudinal database systems of all seven REL Central states and their respective publics, including rural, suburban, and urban areas.
- Job-Embedded Professional Development: This alliance aims to assess the impact of job-embedded professional development on student achievement. The participants include school districts and schools in Colorado and Montana that have received Teacher Incentive Funds (TIF) grants in the region.
- Formative Assessment: This research alliance is working towards the goal to assess the impact of formative assessment and instructional strategies on student achievement. Participants include classroom teachers recruited by the intermediary agencies within each state.
- Teacher Mentoring: The goal of this research alliance is to understand the impact of a focused mentoring program on teacher effectiveness and retention. Participants include Aurora Public Schools (CO); and additional districts from other states will be invited.
Closing the Achievement Gap
- Effective Rural School Districts: The goal of this research alliance is to identify exemplary practice in rural school districts related to CTAG. SEA staff in each of the seven Central Region states and rural districts identified as being most effective at CTAG will be invited to participate.
- Mathematics and Science Partnerships: This research alliance has the goal of determining the extent to which MSP projects in states are helping to close the achievement gap. Participants include all existing MSP projects in Colorado, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming focused on mathematics, along with their participating school districts.
- Native American Students: This research alliance will work to identify effective research-based curriculum and instruction strategies that can be effectively implemented in settings that serve Native American students.
- Teacher Feedback: This research alliance is working to understand the effect of teacher feedback on classroom behavior and student achievement. Initial participants include Cherry Creek Public Schools (CO); additional districts from other states will be invited.
Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness
- Common Core Standards: This research alliance is working to examine the implementation of Common Core Standards and assess implementation and impact. All state departments of education standards and assessment directors, interested intermediary agencies, and selected school districts will be participating.
Marzano Research Laboratory (MRL), founded in 2008, is a private for-profit research and consulting firm. MRL provides education services through: ongoing field research and meta-analysis of common studies; evaluation of school and district effectiveness; educational product development; and professional development services which respond to the needs of schools.
Robert J. Marzano
Marzano Research Laboratory
9000 E. Nichols Avenue Suite 112
Centennial, CO 80112
Phone: (303) 766-9199
REL Central partners and subcontractors:
- RMC Research Corporation
- Augenblick, Palaich and Associates, Inc.