The 2021 ED/IES SBIR Phase I Solicitations are NOW OPEN
On December 1, 2020, ED/IES SBIR released two (2) Fiscal Year 2021 Phase I solicitations. The submission date and time for all Phase I proposals through both solicitations is Thursday, January 21, 2021, at 11AM E.S.T.
Education Phase I Solicitation 9199002R0001 is a request for proposals for up to $200,000 for 8-months for the research and development of prototypes of education technology products in one of the following priority areas:
- Products that apply emerging technologies to support student learning and relevant education outcomes; or
- Products to modernize assessment and support student learning and relevant education outcomes; or
- Products used by educators or administrators to inform decision making; or
- Products to prepare existing evidence-based interventions to be used at scale in education settings; or
- Products for informal learning to reverse learning loss for the lowest performing students
Special Education Phase I Solicitation 91990021R0002 is a request for proposals for up to $200,000 for 8-months for the research and development of prototypes of special education technology products in one of the following priority areas:
- Products to support infants, toddlers or students with, or at risk for, disabilities, or educators (or other instructional personnel, related services providers, or family members); or
- Products to Prepare Existing Special Education Interventions With Evidence to be Used at Scale in Education Settings
- Phase I awards are anticipated to be made within 90-days after the submission deadline.
- ED/IES SBIR anticipates making 15 awards through the Education Phase I Solicitation 9199002R0001 and 5 awards through the Special Education Phase I Solicitation 9199002R0002.
- During the period of time when the 2021 ED/IES SBIR solicitations are open, as a rule of the Department of Education's Contracts and Acquisitions Management office, SBIR program manager Edward Metz is not permitted to address any questions from potential applicants. Potential applicants are permitted to email any questions for the Education Solicitation #9199002R0001 to Contracting Specialist Kristi.Rhodes@ed.gov and for the Special Education Solicitation #91990021R0002 to Contacting Specialist Tracey.Perry@ed.gov. All questions and responses from the Department of Education will be posted as an Amendment on the same website page on which the solicitations are posted.